Everyday Living

So from having 2 kids, i've gotten into some bad parenting habits...one in particular is TV watching. I have used TV as a way to distract Emma while I take care of Kate, do dishes, work on hobbies or just need a break...pretty much anything that I need or want to do. But now, almost 6 months later, and it's just out of hand! I feel so crappy when we have the TV on all day. I won't even tell you how many Disney movies I have memorized! So after talking to friend (thank you for ideas!), I've decided to go cold turkey on TV watching. I have so many things around the house that Emma can do to keep busy! I think i've just lost confidence in my mothering skills so I had TV do it for me...But not any more!! Ok so i'm not going to go totally bizerk and watch NO TV but on occasion, i'll allow Emma to watch it here and there. So that's just one of my goals for the year 2008.
Kate is doing great eating solids. We're still on rice cereal but she's starting to get the hang of it and really inhailing it. Here's her ready for action:
Playing with the girls. Emma is doing great with Kate now. She always talks with her and plays toys with her. Kate is now actually responding or reacting to her so I think it's a win-win for all!
Jaime, this one's for you,..meaning, I told you that I'd take a picture of what I was working on today so here it is :) This is for a baby shower present
And by golly, I did this page yesterday. I"m pretty surprised at myself, I did another page!

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Chelsea said...

It is so easy to turn the tv on, I know. At one point with Brooklyn she earned movie and cartoon "tickets". She actually really liked the idea. She knew that once she used the particular ticket, there was no more tv watching that day. Your girls are adorable and I'm so impressed with your many talents! Your projects always look so cute.

Kristen said...

I totally know how you feel about getting into bad habits just so you can take care of your other child. You are not a bad mom though. Good luck with cold turkey.

annie and jared said...

well i'm a newby to the whole parenting thing, but i can imagine that trying to take care of two is extremely difficult! it sounds like you are amazing at it though. i love kate's cheeks-- so adorable!

The Shirleys said...

I love your cards and scrapbook pages. THey are so cute. YOu really have a talent for them.

Good luck with the NO TV thing. I find that when I get really busy I tend to let Bradley watch more TV too. We are continually working on that.

Jazmin said...

we have similar issues! good thing is we are doing something to change things. And anyway, having 2 kids is hard! You can only do so much you know?

The Blaisdell Family said...

I think you will be surprised at how easy it is to actually shut the tv off! Kids learn real quick how to entertain themselves when there's no tv. You'll do great. I always feel so at peace in my mind when the tv isn't on all day.

The frame is adorable. I'm sure the recipient will LOVE it. Very, very cute.

I'm glad the girls are becoming friends. That's such a fun time:)

Tyler and Erin said...

Lyssa, you are amazing! I love your scrapbook pages! I too have gotten into doing Peyton's scrapbook lately. Its addicting and once you get the itch you have to go for it or you'll never get done. Your girls are so adorable... really! You probably here that all the time but truly they are some of the cutest kids I've ever seen. Hey, I was wondering where you got your header? How do you do a header with a picture in it?

katie t said...

no comment because i am the worst and will continue to do so...sooorry! go to my blog to see jc's link and he has all ready posted!

katie t said...

and your pages and present is soooo creative. i love them

Courtney said...

Don't feel bad, I think if I was a mom, it would be really hard not to have tv on a lot. I just like it on for myself just to make noise while I am home.

Jill said...

Good luck with the TV thing, Lyssa. And thanks for posting such cute scrapbook pages. I'm probably going to steal some ideas from you; they're just so cute!

natalie said...

Good for you for not only cutting back on TV but for realizing that you needed to. I'm sure I will fall into that trap when I have another kid, but I realized that kids don't need TV to entertain themselves.
Thanks for posting your scrapbooking projects. I think I will scraplift you if that's okay! Post more when you get a chance. You do such a great job! :)

Christine said...

You are adventurous! I don't know how I would survive without the TV. I know we watch it too much, and I should go cold turkey too, but I'm not quite ready yet. Go you, though! Let me know how it goes. Or, just bring the kids over to play sometime. If it is nice outside they can play on the swing set out back.

The Kerr Family said...

Miles' behavior and attitude correlates directly to how much TV he has watched. We hardly have the tv on any more and it's wonderful! Just like Jaime said, kids will find things to do and then it's hilarious listening to them as they're in this crazy make-believe world. I think you'll be so much happier with things. I know that I definitely am.

Jami Black said...

You are so talented-I can't believe you got so much of that skill and I got NONE! Thanks for being such a good friend-I appreciated hanging out today. Your girls are beautiful and I really want to steal Kate!

Pin It button on image hover