Crib Bumper Cover Tutorial

My son has graduated from the bassinet to the crib. And he's become a rolling maniac so I needed a boy crib bumper. He's got 2 older sisters so I wasn't going to surround him in pink! So I started looking for a bumper. I looked on Craigslist. But I never found one I liked. And they sell them at Target but for $20. So I decided that I needed to just take my pink bumper and cover it with a fabric that I liked. And luckily, I had just the one!

It's pretty self-explanatory to make.

The bumper measured 9 1/2 inches by like 132 inches...super long! So you will just need to measure your bumper, length and width. So I just cut 10 inch strips of fabric. Make sure to cut enough for both sides of the bumper.

Then you put right-sides together. Sew the ends together. I had cut out 7 strips of 10 inch pieces. I cut one in half...so each side used 3 1/2 strips. So you are left with two LONG pieces of fabric.
Measure the original bumper between the strings. With that measurement, you will mark on your fabric to know where to place your strings or ribbons so you can tie the bumper onto the crib. I used ribbon as strings. Put right sides of fabric together. Cut 8 1/2 inch strips of ribbon and pin them on the fabric where they will be.

Then you just sew them together and you'll make a long tube. Sew one end shut. Take the shut end and safety pin it to one end of the original bumper. Then proceed to make the cover right side out over the original bumper.

Make sure to keep it straight. Then one the other open end, I used some iron-on velcro to close it. Then you set it up in your crib and you have an adorable new bumper!!




1 comment:

Courtney said...

Good job! I'm glad you ended up doing it! Yours was way easier than when I made mine, but I tried to make it complicated and I wanted alternating panels of fabric, so it took me a little longer. Next time I will go for simple and easy. love it!

Pin It button on image hover