Ribbon Holder tutorial


I am amazed at what you can create when you have no or hardly any money. I love going to DI or Goodwill these days because I'm learning to see past what things are to what they could become.
Such is the case with my Ribbon Holder. This is what I found at DI for $2:
(Does anyone know what this is?!)


After some TLC, it now looks like this:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

And it was really simple to transform it. I'll break it down for you!

Step 1: Using my trusty Tomboy Tools, Trim the wood with a hack saw so that a dowel can slide in and out of the hooks.

Step 2: Sand them down a bit using a sanding block or paper.

Step 3: Take out frame piece to decorate later.

Step 4: If you are pregnant, nag and nag and nag your husband to spray paint it. If not, then you can do it (so jealous because it took my husband a week to finally do this step and I was dying!...something about fumes and the baby..I have no idea....)

Step 4: Decorate frame piece and place back in Holder.
I just traced the shape on scrapbook paper and used a glue runner to hold in place. Then I took black stickers and made the label.

Step 5: Hang on wall, making sure to use a level to they hand straight! Something that helps with this is called a Picture Perfect Level, you must check this out!

Step 6: Place ribbon on dowels and place on your holder.

Step 7: Stand back and look at what you've accomplished!

boy, what a feeling!

I first linked this to DIY Day over at A Soft Place to Land!

And at It's So Very Cheri's Knock off Knock Out Party

And at 2nd Time around at A Picture is Worth 1000 Words

And also Transformation Thursday over at Shabby Chic Cottage

And I linked this to Thriftstore Thursday over at Homebody Holly. Check her out!



32 comments:

stephanie said...

Very cool!

notes of sincerity said...

So cute and clever! :o)

Cass @ That Old House said...

This is fabulous. Brilliant, and good looking, and useful -- it just couldn't be better. Excellent.
Cass

Holly said...

I have no idea what that is, but it looks like it was meant for exactly what you did with it! It looks so good, and what a great idea!
So glad you joined TST :)

Becky said...

Very cute! I love it. And I have no idea what it used to be but you made it better for sure.

Denise Marie said...

Girl, that is the bomb!! I'm terribly impressed that you did this for $2. Better than most ribbon holder ideas I've seen. blessings!

celeste said...

GOOD JOB LYSSA!! it turned out way good!

Kelli said...

VERY creative. This will be of great use to you.

Cristina HW said...

you have such GREAT ideas! hope your pregnancy is going well!

:)
cristina

Jeanne said...

Wow, Lyassa, this is beautiful and useful. Way to go girl. I usually do not have this much ribbon, but I could get hoked on ribbon if I had a display shelf like this. Big Smile.

Hugs...Jeanne

Jeanne said...

Oops Lyssa, I hate typos. Sorry.

Jeanne again :)

Sarah said...

It may have originally been a rolling pin holder? I love what you have done with it though!

Crystal said...

I have no idea what it is... but it's fabulous now!

I have a poll up on my blog about my BIGGEST decor dilemma. Come on over and vote, I need all the help I can get!

http://imnomartha.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-poll-ever-to-paint-or-not-to.html

Christina said...

What a fabulous transformation. I'm not sure what it is, but boy, I want to find one. : ) Love the ribbon idea. I also want your tools. Very cool.

Jenny in Maine said...

awesome find!! the sad part is I probably would've looked and kept on walking!! errr.

My Vintage Blankie said...

Great job. I'm inspired!!

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

I love it. Who cares what it used to be. You spiffed it up and made it awesome!

Its So Very Cheri said...

This looks great. I need one. I make all of my daughters hair ribbons to match her outfits and I so need a ribbon holder.

So glad you made the T. It is fast and easy and looks like a million bucks.
Cheri

Brenda@ **Dragonflys and Stars** said...

What a great idea! It never ceases to amaze me what people are able to re-create!

Mimi Hornberger said...

This is AMAZING! I believe it used to be a holder for Karate belts. My nephew has something that looks very similar. I LOVE the way you recreated it! TFS! My Mom is the Goodwill Diva and now I will have to have her on the lookout for one. XO, Mimi

Mimi Hornberger said...

I just looked on ebay, to verify what it is and I think it is a baseball cap style hat rack. I just wanted to verify so others know what to ask for if they go looking. Again, AWESOME revamp! You rock!

Sandra@threepumpkinslittle.squarespace.com said...

Ack! I have one of these very things mounted on the inside of our guest room closet and I have ALWAYS scratched my head over it. And b/c we don't use that closet much, I've left it there--but I'm sure you can guess that that's no longer the plan. Off I go to take it down & hopefully make it fabulous like yours--I cannot thank you enough for the idea!! You are awesome :).

impatientcajun said...

Great Job!

Sandi
Impatient Cajun

Skebba said...

I believe it was originally used to hold various implements of torture.

GREAT idea, posting it to my Tumblelog!

Teresa said...

I think it was a fishing pole display. I love what you've done with it. :)

Brigitte said...

Just found ya through one pretty thing... I love what you've done!

And just so you know that "thing" is a baseball hat holder. My husband has one that he has used forever and ever but I may just have to steal it and put it to better use! Love it. :)

bonFlourish.blogspot.com said...

I just found your blog. I love this ribbon holder, beautiful and useful! My eyes will be searching for something like this in the thrift store.

Embellished Bayou said...

Fabulous! I wish I could find something like that to transform for my ribbons!

Sassy Sites! said...

I will second the comment that said it's used for hats. I actually just donated my son's... UGH! I'm sad about the now!!

Caterina said...

I really love your crafty blog....
Compliments....

Caterina@LemieScarpeRosa

Lucy said...

VERY creative. This will be of great use to you.

electric heat pumps

Unknown said...

It is a fishing pole holder. But looks much better now

Pin It button on image hover