Unloading Zone

I made a pact in my mind that I was going to work on my patience with my kids.
This began over the weekend.
I loose my patience very easily with my 2 eldest.

I don't know why.
I don't know why it bugs me that Emma never obeys me when I ask her to do (or not to do) something.
I don't know why it bugs me when Kate constantly screams over NOTHING.
I don't know why it bugs my son wants me in sight at ALL TIMES or he'll scream too.
I don't know why it bugs when Luke will only nap for 45 minutes.
or that he wants to nurse minutes at a time then check out his sisters....

So I find it amusing that after my pact with my mind, I would have a day like today. When I was very outnumbered with screaming, requests, disobeying, messes, yelling, crying, pushing, hitting, climbing etc (trust me, I could go on)

I don't want to become one of those moms you hear and see at Walmart that are so mean and annoyed with their children, yanking them around. It is so sad to see that. My heart just aches for those children. In that environment, their spirits are broken.

I don't what my kids to have broken spirits. I want my home to be full of love, kindness, hugs, kisses, and laughter.
That's my motivation in wanting more patience and understanding. This mother thing is not as easy as I first thought it would be, when I had one baby. With each kid, it just gets more difficult. But with each kid comes a new spirit into our family that is unique and beautiful. Each are gifts from God. I have the responsibility to rear them in love and righteousness.

I was reading a friend's blog who just had her third child as well. She said that she has never been so humbled in her life. That's how I feel with being a mom of three. I am constantly seeking help from my Heavenly Father to give me the strength to keep a happy face for my kids.

I honestly love the chaos that comes from being a mom. It just feels innate in me.
But it's hard.
And I need it.
I need it to grow and become a better mother.

I am grateful for my family of 5. I had a wonderful mother's day.
Sleeping in.
Breakfast in bed...waffles, whipped cream and strawberries.
Wonderful Church meetings
& Baby Back Ribs and mashed potatoes...YUM.

Joe makes the best BBRibs. I love him. I love them.

5 comments:

Sara said...

You family is so beautiful and awesome. OH AND P.S. I NEED THAT RECIPE. I have been craving some ribs for like months!!! Love you Lyssa!!

natalie said...

I am right there with you on trying to keep a happy face on for the kids (and husband sometimes too!). You are lucky that you have such a supportive husband and that he took care of you on mothers day. Not everyone has that!

Mariley Johnson said...

I know why it bugs me when my kids don't obey. It makes me feel like i have totally failed as a parent. It makes me feel like i am losing and they are winning all the time!
But, it is worth it. We know that. We just have to remember that. And i am happy to read that mine are not the only disobedient children. Sometimes i wonder...

The Blaisdell Family said...

I feel 100% the way Mariley does and you too Lyssa! I am constantly struggling with finding a balance between everything and trying my darnedest to not get overly worked up about the things my kids do. Especially coming from a family where we couldn't breath right without getting a hard core spanking. Talk about breaking a kid's spirit!! I've been there and I STILL have a hard time controlling myself and not doing the same thing to my kids!!

It's tough, if a woman says it's easy or "not that bad" it's because she's a big fat liar OR she doesn't have kids of her own!!

You are a good mom and person and you are by far not alone!! :) Chin up beautiful Lyssa!

Woods said...

I don't know why but it is the hardest thing to stay calm and patient. I struggle with it everyday. I think I'm going to try it out with you. I really could enjoy my kids better and laugh more often with them. You just inspired me and you didn't even know it!! thanks

Pin It button on image hover