It's about time.

The biggest fear I have as a family is not having a good family portrait taken. And until now, that has been the case. Nothing ever worked out really.
So about a month ago, we went to UT for my brother's mission farewell. It would be the last time my family would be together for at least 2 years so we took advantage and took family pictures.
I'll admit that it was a big deal for me. This was my chance to get something together and hopefully take decent pictures! So days before leaving, I was stressed. I wanted my little family to look "together" and "unified". That's the hardest part. So it started with the girls dresses. I definitely wanted them to wear those. So white and yellow. Then I looked at Joe's wardrobe...hmm...lacking. But he had a nice grey shirt that would work. So from that, I went with Grey, White and Yellow. Luke's shirt was an awesome find at Old Navy. So all that was left was what I'd wear. It is seriously lame how much stress it was for me. I couldn't even sleep some nights. yes, lame.
But inspiration came the day before we were leaving. And when I say inspiration, I mean frugality. It was kind of a challenge really. I was trying to make new clothes out of old ones. And I wanted to match the rest of the family. So after going through my DI pile, I grabbed a grey dress that I had worn when I was pregnant huge. I then cut it apart and turned it into a cardigan.
Then I whipped up the headband and earrings to throw some color on me.
And I am happy with how we all looked unified.

Well here are the cream of the crop. And I am pleased with how they turned out too.











12 comments:

Jenni said...

I love them! The gray and yellow looks great, and you definitely pulled it all together. I would call that success!

Tyler and Erin said...

I'm the same way with pictures. Such a stress! Yours turned out beautiful and I love the color scheme. So cute. Plus how cool is that that you made your shirt and the girls dresses and all the hairpieces. So talented and how fun to look back and say I made those darling outfits!

Ann-Marie said...

You need to have no more fear! These are gorgeous! Seriously, they are great! As soon as Graham gets a titch bigger I'm going to need a family picture too!

natalie said...

You turned an old dress on its way to DI into a cute cardigan?!!! You are brilliant!! I am inspired.
The pictures turned out great.

Abby said...

YOU ARE A GENIUS! I am going to go through my DI pile immediately to see if I can make a cool cardigan out of something:)
Love the pictures, love the unification, love the accessories, etc. Brilliant! Also, how old are you? Why do you look so young? I assumed we were the same-ish age, but you look so fresh!
Hope the move has gone well! If not, maybe it's a good thing you got the pictures taken before-hand:)

The Blaisdell Family said...

I too stress SO much about family pictures, glad I'm not alone:) Love how you created your own outfit! Way to go!! They turned out great, and you my friend, are beautiful!!

PS It was fun having Joe here. Hope he enjoying chilling at our pad for a day :)

Courtney said...

The pics turned out so cute. you're color coordinating was perfect, not too matchy but you all look like you go together. you are so creative. :) Hope your move went well.

Amesbury said...

The pictures turned out beautiful!! Though after mentioning your incredible ability to whip anything up I wanted to see a better picture of the dress turned cardigan! :)

erin said...

Good work on the coordinating! I love those colors together and the pictures turned out super cute!

I can't believe you had another tire issue on the way to Utah. Crazy! Hope you're liking your new spot! :)

Jeremy, Jennie, Caleb, and Noah said...

It was great seeing you guys last night! I hope we see more of you in the future!

Heather Lee said...

to be completely honest, it doesn't matter what you guys wear because you have such a BEAUTIFUL family, really. Although, I do think you made an awesome choice with the girls' dresses! And only you could take a maternity dress and make it into a cute cardi! I love you and your talent. But really, who's looking at clothes when they can be mentally pinching Luke's cheeks?

McArthur Family said...

Lyssa, those pics are so cute! Love the coordinating colors you chose.

Pin It button on image hover