the "glamour" of real life.

I was talking to some friends this morning about the love/hate relationship we have with the internet, particularly about blogs and Facebook.  I've had this discussion before, many many times.
Blogs are deceiving because many post life's happy moments.  They then become ideal and perfect in our minds.  Then we start comparing our lives to their perfect lives.  Facebook is the same way.  People update great news, pictures, awards, ideas etc etc.

But you have to remember that THAT is not real life.  Everyone has problems.  Everyone has trials.  They just don't flaunt it online.  And that's fine.  It's their space.  They can do whatever they want.  I used to get really frustrated about that too.  A particular blog did this to me.  It was only after talking to friends & family of the author and even reading archives of said blog that she was imperfect.  It gave me a glimpse of the "behind the scenes" of "perfect" blogs.
So now, when I read a blog, I read it with a grain of salt.  Always.  If it seems they can do everything.  They can't.  They are probably neglecting their kids, their marriage is hurting, she hires a maid to clean the house etc etc.  So many things.

So in celebration of our discussion, here's first a story of what happened today when I went to pick up Emma from school.  Luke has this fabulous habit of running off when I tell the kids to get in the van.  Today, he chose to run down the neighbors driveway.  So I closed the doors and started driving away, telling him, "bye!!"  I was at the end of my driveway when I stopped and watched him run back down the driveway towards the van.  Once he got close, I came out of the car to get him.  Of course, he then started running away again.  So, being very motherly, I ran after him, yelling and trying to control the anger that was building up inside of me.  I snatched him up and gave him a few "light" swats on the behind.  I kept sternly telling him he needs to come to the van when I told him too.....5 bucks he'll do the same thing next time.  Argh, seriously, this kid.  Not the best "mom" moment, I assure you.

Next, i'm posting pictures what my house looks like right now.  Like right NOW.  These were taken about 20 minutes ago.
Just to show you that I DO NOT have my house clean all the time.   I only go around 2-3 times a day and do a quick clean up to tackle the mess.










This doesn't even cover my room, the laundry room or even the toy room...**shudder**
I think we are all doing what we can.  Let's not judge or assume anything.  Instead, let's help one another and be a bit more understanding. :)

3 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

When my house explodes....I play music LOUD and get to work!!!! And then the next morning I start alllllll over again. Housework is BUSY, and can be totally overwhelming.

Good Luck!

McArthur Family said...

Looks normal to me. =)

Sarah M. said...

Yep. Totally normal! Thanks for sharing. It is an encouragement to know that there are others just like me! :)

Pin It button on image hover