Not seeing the fruit

As much as i've tried to simplify my life, it never stems any easier. If anything, it just seems to get busier and harder! And i've come to the realization that I'll probably be just a "once a week" blogger, and i'm okay with that. Honestly, I got too much involved in this whole blogging phenomenon that I started slipping in other areas in my life, like the most important things: wife & mom.
I will confess that I have a discipline problem. I have a lack of self control with things that I wan to do. LIke be on the computer all night? sounds good to me. Go to bed NOT early? check. Wait to clean the kitchen tomorrow? done! Thoughts & decisions like these run through my head all day. I have to continually fight my "natural man" to be an organized, coherent, respectable and decent human being. It's hard! ANd I go through phases where I am slacking big time and then I manage to stay ontop of things and my house actually looks livable. And I have noticed i'm not the only one who feels this way about blogging and internet use. I've started reading other people's blogs about the same stuggle that I have. The whole idea of blogging is a great one. I really like that I can print it all out or put them in books for documentation. But with all things, the adversary takes something good and twists it, contaminates and very slowly, sucks us all into it more than we anticipated. Like I said, I was like the #1 fan of the blog. I would recruit everyone I knew to get one. But it began to be a tool for Satan to draw me away from being a mom and a wife. And he knew my lack of self discipline so he used that against me!
But because of this fault of mine, sometimes it's just easier to just stop all together, so the teomptation isn't even a threat to me. But I have a hard time letting go of blogging because it is doing my posterity a favor and connecting family and friends at the same time! Could life get any better?! (lol Brian Reagan...anyone?)
So here's what we've/I've been up to these past few weeks, picture time!
I helped out with some food for a "Bug" shower for my friend Stephanie last week.. I got this idea from good ol' Martha. Fun huh? Little rice krispie lady bugs and caterpillers. Even Emma helped me out:







Here's a few pictures of the shower. LInsay did a great job in supplying bugs to put all over the house.




Jan made these yummy cute butterfly fruit cups, so cute!

Yummy food table.



Last Saturday, we went to Sea World because we needed to get more out of our season passes and Emma's been talking about wanting to see the dolphins all week. So that was fun and the weather was great. We were going to hit the Log Ride but it was having some difficulties and wouldn't be fixed for like 45 minutes so we ended up just leaving after that. But it was still fun.








Kate had a different reaction to the dolphins...



I"ve been also busy with my calling in my church. I am the Visiting Teaching Coordinator and once a year, I am pretty much in charge of a VT workshop, where we instruct and motivate visiting teachers to "get to work" :) I found a theme online called, "Overcoming Roadblock to Visiting Teaching." So we did a construction theme and I had a lot of fun planning and decorating this! ANd I had sisters bring any cars/ trucks to help decorate the place. It turned out really cool.
I made these signs by the entraces in the church :)

Another sign so sisters wouldn't go through this door..
Sister's mingling & eating
We had a door prize too.

The food!
Got this idea from online too. Thought it was cute to have the salsa in the dump truck


If you can see the little cones as the center pieces, I actually made those. I found plastic megahones at the dollar store and spray painted them orange then stuck them on black paper squares. They looked like the real thing.
And our RS president hard at work, teaching us a great lesson.
So that kept me busy for the past couple of weeks! But I am glad it turned out well and that it's over so I can now breathe a bit easier!
And so it is....

10 comments:

Jenni said...

I have the same problems! Sometimes I hate blogging so much. I just want to ignore it for weeks. But then I get an itch and I get on and waste at least 3 hours. I could have gone to the gym or something. It drives me crazy, but like you, I just need to balance everything out. Your RS event turned out so cute! I love the construction theme!

steph, brent, and joaquin said...

I don't know how you do it all. I don't have any kids and rarely do I do a blog once a week. I have a hard time prioritizing because the relaxing and non-straining activities sound so much nicer to me. You're so creative. I love the VT activity idea!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Once a week blogging isn't bad (at least I don't think so because that's what I do:) I use to do it all the time, but now I just do enough to keep up and to document for printing later. I understand ya though!

Cute, cute VT conf. idea. You did a great job pulling it all together. If I ever get that calling again, I might need to do this theme. I love it!

And I love Kate's enormous cheeks! SO kissable!!

McArthur Family said...

You are so great! I just love your honesty and that you have the ability to give yourself a "how am I doing?" reality check. I think you such a neat person. How I adore you!

katie t said...

yeeeeeep. you and i are from the same family. lack of self control and lack of self discipline. computer and tv are an added bonus too :)

i am having the same thoughts buuuut am still having my action issues????

love ya and can hardly wait for my invites!!!

Tyler and Erin said...

I agree! I have the same problem.

Oh and I loved the relief society "construction" theme! So cute!! You did great.

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Lyssa, I am SOOOO right there with you! I've tried really hard lately to limit the number of blogs I read everyday and the number of posts that I do. As much fun as it is to blog and to get what we are doing out there for future generations and family and friends...it just takes a toll on me and my being a good mom sometimes. It hit me a little while back when I realized I had left Jackson in front of the tv for the last hour and a half, while I "just got on the computer for a second", that I was being a terrible mom. It's not that this happened everyday, mind you, but it had happened more than once and I was sick and discusted by myself. I hated how I felt and I hated what I had done to Jackson. It just wasn't fair. I have really tried hard to cut back and to be more involved with him while he is awake and to make sure that my evenings are COMPLETELY bogged down by the blogging/cyber-world. It is hard. Satan definitely knows how to take a good thing and twist it until he finds my weaknesses. I'm working on it. Let me know if you need any help in becoming a "recovering blog-aholic." Because somedays are just hard. :)

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

(are NOT COMPETELY bogged down by blogging...it should say). :)

Kristen said...

I totally know what you are talking about. The internet is a time vacuum. Maybe you would have more time if you didn't spend it all creating a huge party for VT. ;) Hello! It was really cute, but it makes me tired just looking at all you did. The poor person called after you will never measure up. Good work.

Jamie Smith said...

I know what you mean about having to blog less so you can be a wife and mom more. I feel like I have ZERO time lately. I haven't looked or commented on people's blogs forever and probably won't get around to it till after the holidays.

Anyways, the construction VT theme was SSOOOO cute! You are so creative! I remember going last year or whenever you did it, and that one was amazing also! Do you come up with all these ideas yourself? I know who to call if I ever get that calling!

Pin It button on image hover