So now what...

We're in the "so now what" stage in our family. First off, I started putting Emma in "panties" whenever we were home. Yes, the first day or so were rough. She didn't "get" going in the potty to stay dry. I kind of just went with the flow, not pressuring her since I couldn't go completely diaperless when I still had to go to church and run errands in the day. On Saturday, we got her the Dora potty, which she was super excited about. Sunday, after church, we just let her run around in panties with some incidents. But that night, finishing up dinner, she ran up and was like, PEE PEE!! She had peed in the potty! I was estatic, made a big deal, did the whole thing and then gave her a handful of skittles ( I had to make an impact!) and then as she was eating her potty candy, we hear this "ssss". Look over at Emma and she had peed like NIagra Falls through her panties onto the floor...it was the thickest, biggest puddle ever! JOe started laughing. Prior to this, he had commented on the amount of skittles and I confidently said, oh it will help her realize what a great reward she'll get if she pees in the potty! Um then again, maybe not...
But come MOnday, I moved the Dora potty into the living room so she had it close. She didn't have one accident! Tuesday, she didn't have any as well and she went POOP too. It was amazing. I am completely shocked at her. I knew she was smart enough but of course, she was just not ready! So today, we bought some pull-ups so she'll be officially done with diapers. I bought some easy-to-pull-down pants & new PJ's. The PJ's because we've been containing her in onesie PJ's so she couldn't get to her diaper to experiment... But now, since she'll be needing to have access to use the potty, I needed to get some...
Which brings me to my question for all you PT mom's out there...how do you transition from having the door shut, not allowing access to allowing them access to get to the bathroom? I find it hard to just leave the door open because she'll just try to leave all night and the crack of dawn....I am just confused how to get to that point where they can walk out of their room in the morning to go pee...!?!!
I'll let you know the other "so now what" we as a family are experiencing later...

2 comments:

THE ORMES said...

For girls, it'll be awhile before they're that independent. Pee gets everywhere and you really don't want them wiping their own butt for awhile. For a LONG while. We would gate Taylor in. We could still hear her if she needed us, but she didn't have all access because otherwise she'd come in our room all night long.

Also, limit their water intake before bedtime. This can be an adjustment, but will help them make it through the night. Also, make going potty a part of your going to bed routine.

Oh, if she can climb over gates, then double gate her. One on top of the other (yep . . . learned that with Taylor too). Honestly though, you'll have to be there every time she goes potty for months and months. Heck we still help Taylor cause she just doesn't pay attention to our instructions and isn't the best at cleaning her bum after pooing. Plus there's always the experiementing on the potty, so you'll want to be around just in case.

I think that's it. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Good luck!!

Oh, we buy Gerber panties (found in the baby section) for potty training. They are SUPER thick and help prevent Niagara Falls. :)

katie t said...

just got the invites and could they be any cuter!!!!!

shout out for lyssa...if you want-need any invites for any type of party that you can think of?? have lyssa make-create them because they are to die for!

love ya and wish you were here...tonight especially :)

Pin It button on image hover