Operation "Share Room" Underway

So my Operation "Share Room" has been going full force now. This operation is divided into several phases. Phase One of Operation "share room" is complete. What is Phase One? Well about a month ago, Kate was waking up around 5 every morning, for no reason. I know she wasn't hungry so I just couldn't figure it out! Around that time anyways, her schedule was in need of transition. She was still taking 3 naps but really needed to merge into 2 naps a day. I had a feeling that that was the culprit of her waking up at 5. So after days of transition with her sleeping schedule, we had her down to 2 naps a day. During Phase One, I started Phase Two. Phase Two was to teach Kate how to fall asleep on her own. Or in other words, "crying it out". It took only 2 days for her to do it. But now she doesn't need a pacifier or me to keep putting it into her mouth. She's learned to sleep with arms out as they hit her in the face. I know some of you are just thinking, wow, she's a...well I won't finish that sentence...But crying it out can sound pretty harsh but it really isn't. I have found it is the only way to teach babies to fall asleep on their own. Once they are able to do that, they sleep better, which means they nap better and are much more content in the day. Really, the hardest part is the the first day. Once you get past that, it significantly gets easier. Babies are pretty adaptable.

So that was phase Two. Phase Three is currently taking place. I am taking away the "dream feed" from her schedule. What is the "dream Feed?" you ask? Well, I am a follower to The Baby Whisperer, who suggests giving babies a dream feed. This means that you've put the baby to bed somewhere between 7 and 8. Then between 10 & 11, you sneak into the babies' room and feed her, trying not the wake her up. This way, she's now "filled up" and won't wake up until much later. It's been a great thing and i've become very dependent. You know, I start to think that she really "needs" that feed, that through that, it's the only way she's sleeping through the night. Well I know this isn't true. Kate is well past that time and should be sleeping through the night with no problems. So last night was the first night that I didn't give her the dream feed and she slept soundly through 7. So that is a relief.

Once that is consistent and concrete, I'll move to Phase Four...which is the last phase. Putting Kate and Emma in the same room...dun dun DUN. The thought scares the bageezes out of me! But it must be done and can be done! I know it can. I have friends that have proven this to me. But those of you out there that have multiple kids that share rooms, please tell me what you did!! I'm serious. I want to know all angles on this. I just have nightmares of how it could all turn out. Phase Four is approaching soon so anything will help! Once Operation "Share Room" is over, I'll move into Operation "Get Emma Out of those Freaking Diapers!!!" I don't even want to go there till the first operation is done and final. So please, any advice is wanted!!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Well, I'm not the expert on this, but my two boys share a room and this is what seems to help...
At first Owen was always waking up when Emerson did, but after a few nights, he started sleeping through his crying--even when he has had 4 teeth come in and screams non stop! Owen just has learned to tune him out. Hopefully, that will be the case with Emma! Don't get discouraged if it takes a bit of time.
Another thing that has seemed to help when putting them down together is I put on some music--a cd of relaxing soothing songs, primary songs, etc. That seems to drain out some of the extra sound from each other and they know when they hear it, that it is time to sleep.
Other than that--I think it just takes a little time for them to adjust. Eventually though, they will learn to settle themselves down again and go back to sleep when woken up by the other.
And look on the bright side--they will LOVE sharing a room. It has been so fun for my boys! Owen loves his roommate and I just love those occasional times when I hear them from the other room giggling at each other when they are suppose to be going to sleep. Sometimes I even catch Owen climbing into Emerson's crib and going to sleep with him!

katie t said...

here is my advice..."operation I never have to think about those things ever ever ever ever again" since my kids are 7 & 5! hehehe hahaha :)

Jenni said...

Wow, being a mom sounds pretty intense! I didn't realize how complicated this all was :) But I am going to remember this all for the future....It sounds to me like you know what you are doing!

annie and jared said...

hey lyssa, sorry no advice here but however, i did get some advice from you! i didn't know it was all so complicated- i probably need to read that book because so far i have just been wingin' it but olive has started sleeping from about 1 am till about 7 which is good for me for now. when do you need to start thinking about naps and all that stuff? i think we are still in the newborn sleeping all day on and off phase, but maybe i should be thinking about all of this!

The Basil's said...

wow, you need advice! I think I need advice from you. I've been doing everything I can think of to get my little one to sleep with no luck. She is a very persistant little girl and I have still not gotten her to sleep through the night. You are the WOMAN! congratulations!

Tyler and Erin said...

Thanks for all the advice Lyssa!! Sorry I don't have any to give back. How old is Kate anyway? My baby is 11 months old and we still rock her to sleep. She sleeps from 8:30-8am almost every night which is lovely but the bad part is we have to rock her. I love the cuddle time and she doesn't usually fight us but I would also like her to go to bed on her own so once we bravely decide to have another baby I don't have to rock Peyton for 15-30min. So do I just let her cry it out. My husband is usually the one that puts her to bed since I work most nights and he WILL NOT let her cry. She use to go to bed on her own but my husband got her into the habit of rocking her when she had the stomach flu awhile back. He has no patience. But I do think it is a must for her to soothe herself to sleep. So how long do you let her cry for? Does kate just roll over and go to sleep now without a fuss or what? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

First off, way to be Lyssa! I love the Baby Whisperer and Baby Wise. I do a little combo of both books! I am a firm believer in letting them cry it out and the Dream feeds (up to a point...I think you are good to try phasing it out now). You sound like you have a great head on your shoulders and are thinking of everything! I am proud of you. I am sure that the girls will do fine sharing a room. It will probably take some time for them to get used to it, but I am sure they will be just fine! Sorry I have no great advice for you, since I haven't had to do this one, but you can know I am thinking of you! Also, I am sure I'll need to advice in the next few years...so keep track of what you do (the student housing we are going to be moving into only has two bedrooms, lame, I know).

Chelsea said...

I don't know if this will help any, but when Brooklyn and Cade started sharing a room I would put Cade down first and then a good 30 minutes later put Brooklyn to bed. It worked out pretty well. They go to sleep at the same time now but it was easier to split it up at first. Good luck!

Pin It button on image hover