A time to reflect

Yep, this is a reflection post. And it helps that my camera is broken and so I haven't been able to take pictures this past week. It's been an eventful week however and hopefully soon, my camera will be fixed. Joe is now officially done with 3rd year and with it comes the pressure of answering all the "what am I going to do with my life?" questions that we've been asking ourselves for the past 3 years. 

There are so many options for Joe. Everyday we'll talk about another option. So it gets repetitive and frustrating trying to figure out what he truly wants to do. So that's what we'll be discussing everyday until he figures that out. This isn't a post about venting about Joe and him not deciding. I don't mind all the ongoing conversations because I want him to figure out what he wants to do and not to be rushed or settle for something that he'll regret years down the road.
 So he has been shadowing his options and studying for the GRE, which he'll be taking June 5th. So now we just see and wait as time goes on and applications become due. Anyways, hopefully soon, we'll have a more set future plan on that so we can then start planning the next step of where we want to live...that one is a toughy. Anywhere is an option!  Anyways, I won't go into that because that's a whole other post itself.

The other night, I had to go to the Texas Med Clinic for an infection that I potentially had.  I got there around 8 pm and didn't get home until 10:15...and it costed $150 since I don't have insurance for myself.  And after all that, they didn't find an infection at the moment but was going to send off my result to another laboratory and do a further study.  I won't find out real result until Monday.  So that stinks.  I just want my medication but I guess I can suffer for a few more days...  so yes, I am venting about that.

Yesterday, we went to Sea World.  We were all excited to take the girls to the water park for the first time this year.  We get everything packed, girls dressed.  We get there, in the thick heat that I love so much and the water park is closed!!  boo hoo!  Well great, what to do now?  I'm not about to just walk around in this weather!  They did have a little area for small kids that dealt with water so we went there for a bit.  But of course, Emma was scared of the water in all forms so she wouldn't play in it.  It was too cold for Kate so we ended up just holding our kids in 100 degree weather.  It was kind of funny and ironic that our kids were scared of water when that was the whole purpose of going and for how hot it was.  So we ended up going to look at the dolphins and the shark aquarium.  That was pretty cool.  Afterwards, we left and relaxed the rest of the day.  Today we'll probably just relax too, unless Joe wants to take a study break or something.

Some of my goals this summer are as follows:
  1. potty train Emma.  She is well over due and I think she is ready.  It's really me that is not allowing it to happen.  I mean, she'll be 3 in September.  I for sure want her trained my 3!  And since this next month, Joe will be home, I think it will be a great time so I can get some help and support.  Things seem to go well with Joe's help.
  2. Completely wean Kate.  I've gone down to 2 feeds a day now, morning and night.  But by the time she's one, I want those off too.  She's doing well with other liquids and milk so I think it'll be fine.
  3. Do something for Kate's 1st birthday.  I am not sure if I want to do a whole huge shabang party but I probably will because, I mean, it's her first!
  4. Lose these last wretched 10 lbs that just don't seem to go away.
  5. My mom is the bomb and made like a gazillion file folder stuff for the kids, like sunday boxes and scripture stories for FHE and just teaching the scriptures.  So I want to organize and finish those up so I can start using them
So on the matters of my goals, I want to ask any of you out there with tips on potty training.  I have asked some of you but I just want a wide variety of options incase Emma is difficult to train.  So please, any advise or help would be great!!
And thank you everyone for your help with Kate's contest and voting for her!  Keep it up! :)

7 comments:

Jami Black said...

Good luck with figuring everything out-I am sure that is a frustrating point to be at. Joe is lucky to have such an amazing, supportive wife. Hope you are feeling better and that is a bummer about Sea World. I was going to see if you wanted to go together sometime but maybe not soon :)

THE ORMES said...

Potty training tips . . . they have to be ready. We would try for a day or two and if they just weren't getting it we'd stop for a few weeks and then try again. It's hard enough as it is and if you force it becomes a bad experience for everyone.

We tried with Taylor and it wasn't happening. I finally just gave up and waited for her. She was 3 yrs. 2 mo. and came up to me complaining that she wanted her diaper changed because she'd peed. I told her that's what the diaper's for and if she didn't like it maybe she should learn to go peepee potty. She said okay and then it worked. I think especially with strong personalities they have to want to do it for it to work.

If they won't poop in the potty, sometimes you have to be creative. Shelby always pooped while playing the computer so we made her sit on her little potty in the computer room while she played. She sat and played until she pooped. After a few days of doing that and knowing she was comfortable, we let her play without sitting on the potty and that time she actually told us she needed to go and that ended the solved it. Pooping is a little more personal (lots of kids go hide), so it can be harder for them to change.

If I think of any more I'll tell you.

Courtney said...

Good luck with figuring it all out. I know it's frustrating. I hate not knowing what we are going to do and where we are going to live.

THE ORMES said...

Another thought . . . let Emma pick out her new big girl undies and possibly the potty seat. It might help her be more excited about potty training.

Also, I don't use pull-ups; to me they're too much like a diaper. I buy these Gerber thick underpants (they're in the baby section at walmart); then when they stop having lots of accidents we move on to the other undies. Shelby went from all diapers to all undies . . . day and night. Taylor took about a month to get the night training down, so we'd switch between diapers and undies at night until she got the idea.

Jamie Smith said...

I love all the goals you set for yourself! Sounds fun! Parties and potty training! And don't worry about not knowing what to do after dental school, we have at least changed plans 10 times! You'll figure it out. You definitely don't want to rush into something that you don't like!

Well, I hope you get your camera fixed soon and good luck on Emma's competition! She is so cute!

Jill said...

I missed so much on my trip (blogging stuff), so good luck this summer. I bet it's stresful for you and Joe trying to figure out what you'll be doing and where you end up. I know things will work out though. And good luck potty training Emma!

The Blaisdell Family said...

Ok, I haven't been notified about your blog's updates all week so I feel a little left behind:(

Love the "reflection" post. "They" say it's good to list all your goals and plans, that way they seem to actually happen, so good job on that one.

I feel for you guys making the big decisions right now. It's never fun to be at the crossroads in life like that. We would welcome you open arms in IDAHO!!! But if not, I understand and will be happy for you and any other stupid state you go to:) Did I say stupid? I meant awesome! Yeah, that was the word:)

That sucks about Sea World. I HATE the weather there, and having an event like that is never fun in the sun!! Isn't it weird how a kid can LOVE bath time but not water parks???? Strange!

Good Luck with the potty training. She'll come around (and so will you!). I'm sure you have been given more than enough ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc about it all, so I will just pray for you instead:)

Miss you SO much! Thanks again for thinking of me this past week. You're one heck of a friend!! Who would I be without you?

Pin It button on image hover