tidy-up tuesdays.

So when my third child came into the world, it really threw it upside down for me.
time did not exist for me.
All I did with time was take care of the kids.  
When they weren't around or asleep, it was cleaning the house.  
This happened everyday, all day. 24/7...that's 24 hours a week, 7 months a year...
ok no, just kidding.  but seriously, I lost "me" in all of it.
I was really scared and troubled by it all.
Recently, I have finally found peace and a balance with it all.
What helped me the most was just plain ol' time management.
I was just in such a disarray with everything that I needed to tidy-up my time.
So I started planning out my day and my week.

Here's my cheat sheet of what I do weekly:
I have found that when it is written down, like a check list, I get it done.  I am one of those people who love to scratch things off of those babies.  It definitely is a rewarding feeling!

Another thing that helped it taking back my life from the kids.
That might seem harsh but my time is really important.  And I feel better.  And when I feel better, I am a better mom.  

Here are some things i started doing:
-Waking up everyday BEFORE the kids woke up, to give me a chance to go through the day ahead, read my scriptures and get ready before the storm hits ;)
-enforcing quiet time.  It's usually during my youngest nap time.  I either send them to their room or the basement.  This helps me to check where I am at, whether it's as a mom or my cleaning checklist.
-Do what I need to do, even if the kids are awake or bugging me.  I can't sit around and wait for their every beck & call.  My kids are old enough to take care of themselves.  I used to hover them...but now I realize the harm in that.  I need space to do my daily chores and activities and they need space to learn to play independently!

Another thing I did was make up a chore chart for my two oldest girls.  I made one for morning & night:

I printed these out 11x14 then in a cheap frame.  We then use dry erase  markers to check them off.

So here's what my typical day looks like:
7 AM: wake up and read scriptures
7:20 wake up oldest and start eating breakfast, get ready for school etc.
8:25:  leave to take oldest to school.
8:50: read books & play with my 2 at home.  Afterwards, start my cleaning list for the day.  Kids play or watch a show on TV. (also use this time to run errands...2 kids is easier than 3!)
11:00: go pick up oldest from school
Noon: Lunchtime
youngest goes down for nap after eating.
12:30- read with kids for 1/2 hour then they go play downstairs
I then tidy things up, check my meal for the night, check email, internet stuff, maybe lie down for a few...
Youngest wakes up around 2-3 pm
I maybe run errands or just do some things around the house.
4:00 start dinner prep.
5:00 dinner
6:00 family reading
6:30 bathtime/getting ready for bed
7-7:30 bedtime for the kids then I have the night for husband and I to hang out.

Geez, kind of exhausting to just write that down!  But sure enough, each day flies by!  I should tell you that this is just my cheat sheet.  Not everyday falls perfectly like this.  I wish!  I have to be very flexible most days.  But I need it as a guideline to fall back on.

So let me ask you, do you do a daily or weekly routine?
what are some of your fav tips with organizing your time?
I would love to know!  Leave me your thoughts in the comments :)

I'm linking up to THESE parties!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I have the same type of schedule, so I totally understand. Monday-floors, Tuesday-bathrooms, wed-dust, etc...

One extra thing that I have added is kid chores. We made a little chore chart and they get to do their chores everyday (like make bed, put away clothes, feed fish, clear the table, etc) simple stuff that they can do. I also do my everyday chores while they are awake and watching me. That way they know that someone actually has to do all that stuff for it to be done (if that made sense). Usually they want to "help" too.

I think you're doing great. I love reading this blog - makes me feel like I still know ya!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Yes, you definitely need a routine with little ones. and I know what you mean about trying to get them to play by themselves for a moment! I have a cleaning/laundry schedule that I stick to, unless we are gone for a whole day or I'm sick. Makes a difference.

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

What great ideas! I'll have to try and implement some because really I've got nothing especially with the health problems I've been having with my 2nd pregnancy. Once this baby is out, I will really need to come up with something to stay sane! =D
I'm really loving your blog! Thanks for following mine - now following yours too!

kristina said...

Thanks for posting this! Found this from the somewhat simple linky, and it was just what i needed to read after my day today! It's been 8 months since we had #3, and I feel like a crazy woman! :) (You'd seriously think this was my first rodeo!) It was so encouraging to read this and remember that I'm not the only mama who has felt a little nuts, and that a schedule/routine is key, especially when they are young. Thanks again! Blessings to you! :)

Melissa said...

That is awesome. I feel like I clean my life away. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All.

Anonymous said...

My third unexpected daughter threw me for a loop! I am now recovering....23 years later!

Pin It button on image hover